Information & Resources
TEACHERS OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS (ELLs)
(Mainstream and ESL teachers)
ESL instruction in the Scotch Plains-Fanwood School District is offered at three 'magnet schools': School One Elementary School, Park Middle School, and Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School. If it is determined that a student qualifies for ESL services, the student will attend one of those three schools.
If you teach an English language learner in one of your classes, you will find resources on this page to help you work with your student(s). You may also contact the ESL teacher in your building, or the supervisor of ESL, Linda Materna (firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance.
Below, you will find access to online training and instructional guidance provided by the NJDOE regarding teaching the English language learners (ELLs) in your class. Additionally, clicking on the other links to the left will bring you to more helpful resources (WIDA standards, can-do statements, how to grade ELLs, descriptions of what students will be able to do based on their level of proficiency in English, etc.)
You can also find the following resource books in your school media center. The ESL teachers and the district supervisors also have a set of these books, for your reference:
- Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners
- Making Content Comprehensible for Pre-K and Kindergarten English Learners (elementary schools only)
- Making Content Comprehensible for Elementary English Learners (elementary schools only)
- Making Content Comprehensible for Secondary English Learners (MS/HS only)
- The SIOP Model for teaching English/Language Arts to English Learners
- The SIOP Model for teaching Mathematics to English Learners
- The SIOP Model for teaching Science to English Learners
- The SIOP Model for teaching Social Studies to English Learners
- 99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with the SIOP Model
GUIDE TO GRADING ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS IN YOUR CLASS
ESL Teachers: Contact our ESL teachers with your questions about working with specific students.
- School One & Park Middle School
See article below from the Indiana Department of Education website regarding helping English language learners with content area texts.
Link to Online Training and Information about teaching ELLs
WEBSITES for classroom teachers of English Language Learners
Pre-K English Language Learners - information and resources
Instructional Support/ Accommodations for English Language Learners
- Ed Helper - Graphic Organizers