DEPARTMENT OF SPECIAL SERVICES667 Westfield Road
Scotch Plains, New Jersey 07076
Office (908) 889-8600 Fax (908) 889-1812
DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL SERVICESLinda EdwardsSUPERVISOR OF SPECIAL SERVICESDiane PenenoCHILD FIND INFORMATIONAL LETTERNew Jersey recognizes the importance of providing services to children with special needs through its Project Child Find efforts. Local school districts can provide evaluation for children three to 21 years of age who appear to have problems in communication, motor, social-emotional, or learning areas. The evaluation is available to preschoolers; to highly mobile students with disabilities, such as migrant and homeless students; and to students who may be disabled even though they are advancing from grade to grade. Children found to be eligible for special education and related services are entitled to free and appropriate special education programming and related services. Information is provided to parents of children from birth through three years of age regarding early intervention services.If you know of children who appear to have one or more of the following signs, please ask their parents to call the Department of Special Services at 908-889-0100:
- significant delays in acquiring language or significant speech problems
- significant difficulty walking, running, or manipulating small objects
- frequent health problems or disabilities present from birth
- consistent trouble seeing or hearing
- tendency toward temper tantrums or excessive anxiety or shyness
- significant difficulty playing appropriately with other children; and/or
- significant problems paying attention and listening.
All information about such requests will be kept confidential. Thank you for helping to disseminate this important information.