We have a roster of incredible authors who will be coming to talk with our students in the 2019-2020 school year!
All students are encouraged to read (or listen to) the visiting authors' various books before their events. This helps everyone have a more interactive, exciting and successful experience. Their books can be found at Park's media center, our local libraries and online ebook/audio book libraries (like Overdrive).
Each author's books will be available for purchase approximately one month before they visit. Once ordering options are ready for an upcoming visit, the link will go live below, and get distributed via the Language Arts teachers, homeroom teachers, newsletter, Park's Twitter feed and the Park Parents' Facebook Group. The authors will personally sign all purchased books before they are delivered to the students.
AUTHOR: Kayla Miller
VISIT DATE: Friday, February 21st, 2020
GRADES INVOLVED IN THE EVENT: 5, 6, 7, 8
Forms are also available in the Main Office, Media Center, or from Language Arts teachers.
ABOUT THE EVENT:
- Kids can start reading CLICK now! There are 20 copies available in the Media Center to get students ready for the visit.
- Kayla will lead two writing workshops for students, whether they are interested in improving their prose or graphic novel writing skills (Language Arts teachers in all grades select which students attend).
- The author's two books, CLICK and CAMP, will be offered for sale through the school from 1/31-2/7/2020. Each book ordered will be personally signed during the visit. Order forms and online ordering links will become available/go live on 1/31, so watch for this info in the Park Backpack, Park Middle School Parents Facebook Group and @ParkMiddleSPF on Twitter, as well as physical copies of the forms in the Main Office and Media Center.
- Ten lucky students will win a seat at a private pizza lunch with Kayla during her visit! Simply have them write a letter as to why they want to attend this lunch, and send it in to Mrs. Herniter in the Media Center by 2/13/2020.
- Students who read CLICK and want to discuss it can sign up to attend one of the two Book Club meetings with Kayla that day! Interested students can sign up in the Media Center by 2/18/2020.
- Students who already own Kayla's book(s) can have them signed by the author that day! Bring them to the Media Center by 2/18/2020 and include a note with the student's name, grade, homeroom teacher, and whether there is a personal dedication desired (aka, "To Katie").
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Kayla Miller is a cartoonist, author, and illustrator born and raised in everyone’s favorite state: New Jersey. They have a BFA in Illustration from the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. When not busy working on graphic novels, Kayla enjoys watching bad movies, trying to cook new recipes, playing games (both board and video), and reading other people’s graphic novels.
AUTHOR: Gordon Korman
VISIT DATE: October 2019
Mr. Korman is a regular guy who just happened to write 90-something books for kids and teens. His books have been translated into 32 languages and have sold over 30 million copies worldwide.
Born in Canada, he now lives on Long Island with his wife and family. When not writing, you can usually find him driving one of his three kids to some practice or rehearsal or game. Either that, or he’s on the road, appearing at schools, libraries, and bookstores, meeting his readers.
Thank you to all who continue to support the PTA, which funds Park’s Author Visit program. These visits aren’t just for the voracious readers of the visiting author’s work: ALL of the kids benefit from the important messages during their presentations and workshops, and it is a gift to behold. Your generosity, which keeps this program going, is much appreciated.
Past authors include Alex London, Tami Charles, Joseph Bruchac, Adam Gidwitz, R.J. Palacio, Soman Chainani, Rebecca Stead, Tracey Baptiste, Wendy Maas, Park Middle alum Karen Bao, and many more!
Do you want to recommend an author you’d like to see visit Park? Please reach out to Author Visit Committee Chair email@example.com at any time.