What courses are leveled?
Mathematics is leveled in grades 7 and 8. Students who meet certain criteria may be placed in an Honors course. The majority of students will be placed in regular Math 7 or Math 8. Placement is evaluated every year. Therefore, students can change levels from 7th to 8th grade.
How are placements determined?
A combination of the criteria below is used to determine a student's placement:
- NJSLA scores
- Student placement criteria rubrics
- End-of-year assessments
- Algebra readiness test (entering grade 7 only)
Is my student prepared to be successful in an accelerated course?
Students in accelerated courses...
- Possess exceptional self-direction, initiative, and perseverance.
- Are highly organized and possess excellent time-management skills.
- Analyze, evaluate and synthesize more complex and in-depth concepts.
- Are expected to complete more independent work at home.
- Are expected to make sophisticated connections between concepts.
- Are motivated to apply what they learn beyond the classroom.
- Have a genuine interest in the subject and the work associated with it.