Lunch Program & Online Payment System 2018/2019
Elementary students have a one-hour lunch/recess period. Students in Kindergarten will have recess from 11:15 to 11:40 a.m. and eat their lunch from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Students in Grades 1 and 3 eat their lunch from 11:50 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., and have recess from 12:20 to 12:45 p.m. Students in Grades 2 and 4 have recess from 11:50 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., and eat their lunch from 12:20 to 12:50 p.m.
The BOE has a contract with Pomptonian Food Service. The elementary lunch program offers students healthy meals from a choice of nine different lunches. Four milk choices are offered and include fat free, low fat, chocolate low fat and strawberry low fat. Juice is also available. Lunch choices include:
- A choice of two daily hot lunches that include entrée, bread, two selections of fruit and vegetable, and a choice of milk or juice.
- A peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fruit selection, vegetable, and milk or juice.
- A bagel bag that includes a bagel, cream cheese, fruit selection, vegetable and milk or juice.
- A yogurt bag that includes 8-ounces low-fat yogurt, fruit selection, roll and milk or juice.
- A cereal bag that includes Cheerios, cheese cubes, fruit, vegetable and milk or juice.
- A Chef or Caesar salad, or a deli special.
- Please refer to the monthly menu for daily specials.
- If needed, contact the School One office for a copy of a peanut-free menu.
The price of an elementary lunch (including milk or juice) is $2.95/day. Reduced price lunches cost 50 cents/day. For an application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals, please go to the SPF District Website at www.spfk12.org or contact the Main Office. If your child wishes to purchase a 2nd slice of pizza the cost is $2.50. If your child only needs to purchase milk, the price is $ .80. Juice cannot be purchased separately. Students may purchase water. The cost is $ .85 for an 10-ounce bottle. Please alert the School One office if your child is NEVER permitted to purchase lunch or water. It will be noted in the computer system.
Students decide daily if they wish to participate in the school lunch program and make their selection in the lunchroom. They can see the lunch options as they make their choices. Students who receive free/reduced lunches receive their lunch with all of the other students.
Pre-K Milk...Pre-K students have milk during their in-class snack period. A milk order form is sent home once a month (usually the second Monday) for Pre-k students to order milk for the month ahead. Parents are to complete the form and check their child’s milk choice (fat free, low fat, chocolate or strawberry low fat). The form with payment is to be returned to school by the date indicated in a sealed envelope, labeled “Milk Money,” and include the student’s name, grade and teacher’s name.
Pre-K milk is 70 cents/day. Payment by check is preferred (payable to Scotch Plains-Fanwood BOE), but cash (in the exact amount) is acceptable. There is a fee for returned checks. Milk orders received after the date indicated on the order form will NOT be accepted. As milk orders are placed in advance, refunds cannot be given to absent children who have ordered milk. Should an absence occur on the collection date, please make every effort to bring the order to the main office, or call the office to see if alternate arrangements can be made. Otherwise, your child will need to bring a beverage for snack time to school for the following month. Milk is not served on single-session days. Students eligible for the free milk program MUST complete and return the milk order form on a monthly basis.
Payment options for lunch, milk, and water, for students in Grades K through 4 include…
1. Pre-pay online at www.payforit.net (you will need your child’s student ID number provided by the School One office). This service allows you to put money on your child’s cafeteria account with your credit card or by e-check. The money can be used for meals, milk and water purchases.
2. Pre-pay by sending any amount of money you like. You may pay by either check (payable to Scotch Plains-Fanwood BOE, with your child’s name and student ID number written in the memo line) or cash (placed in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and student ID number clearly labeled on the envelope).
3. Pay as you go. You may send payment any day you would like your child to purchase lunch. Payment by check is preferred. Checks must be payable to Scotch Plains-Fanwood BOE and include your child’s name and student ID number written on the memo line. Cash must be sent in with your child in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and student ID number clearly labeled on the envelope.
4. For questions regarding the online payment system, please contact Carmelina Januszanis at (908) 232-6161, Ext. 4018.
It is understood that from time to time students may forget their money or use up all of their prepaid monies. The policy regarding charging meals is as follows: Charging of five lunches is extended to all students; if no funds are available for the sixth lunch, students will be given a complete cheese sandwich meal until payforit.net funds are replenished. Cashiers will hand out slips to children who have low or no balances on their account to be sent home with students. The cafeteria director will also print low balance letters that will be sent home to parents. Please CLICK HERE for the district's School Meal Charge Policy.
Payforit is a secure internet-based payment system that allows you to deposit funds for your child’s cafeteria account on-line via credit card or e-check. The website to access this system is www.payforit.net or download the Mobile App on your iPhone or Android phone. It can also be accessed through the District’s homepage, under Information and Forms > For Parents > Enter Online Payment System. When visiting the Payforit site for the first time, please review the “Information (FAQ)” tab. To register on this site, you should have the following information available:
- MasterCard/Visa or checking account information. There is an Internet convenience fee associated with payment by credit card; 3.95% for transactions >$50 or $1.65 for transactions <$50; e-check fee is $1.75. There is NO charge to register for the site in order to get email alerts or view items that were purchased. You are not required to process transactions through this site if you register.
- Your child’s school, grade level, first and last name (as listed in the school’s student database) and student ID number.
Payforit allows you to receive automated emails detailing your child’s account balance, review which items were purchased, and receive alerts if there is a low balance, regardless of your payment method. There is an option for “auto-replenishment”; it allows you to set up a low-balance threshold and automatically replenish your child’s cafeteria account. Payments take approximately three hours to be credited to your child’s account. Watch the Payforit website for new additions of school payments that can be handled on-line.
While checks and cash may still be sent into school, our hope is that parents will appreciate the ease and convenience of pre-paying online for their child’s lunches. Payment may be sent into school to be deposited into your child’s cafeteria account any day of the week. Payment by check is preferred, payable to Scotch Plains-Fanwood BOE, with your child’s name and student ID number clearly written in the memo line. Cash must be sent in with your child in a sealed envelope with your child’s name and student ID clearly labeled on the envelope. Payments for siblings MUST be in separate envelopes.
If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact the School One office. You may also e-mail Pomptonian at email@example.com with any general comments regarding the lunch program.Click on GO CASHLESS for more details.