Welcome to School One! The office staff is here to assist you in any way that we can. Please don't hesitate to contact us by either phone or email.
- Hours: Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Parking: Parents and visitors are requested to make use of parking spaces available on the street between 7:45 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Please refrain from parking or entering the staff lot, even for a brief amount of time, during these hours. An open parking spot may be visible, but needed again shortly. We have many shared staff members with brief travel times between schools. If there is a medical situation that necessitates the use of a handicap area, please contact the Main Office for details.
- Phone System: The school phone number is (908) 322-7731. From a touch tone phone,Press 1 for the Attendance Line; 2 for the School Nurse; 3 for the Main Office; 4 for the Principal; and 4 1 1 for a Dial by Name Directory.
- Reporting a Child Absent/Late: Parents are asked to call the school attendance line (again...(908) 322-7731, Press Option 3) before 8:30 a.m. whenever their child is absent from school or will be more than 15 minutes late. Calls to this number may be made at any time during the day or night. Please remember to provide a detailed reason as to your child's absence.
- Student Arrival: The elementary school day begins at 8:35 a.m. for students in morning pre-k and Grades K through 4. It is important for our students' safety that they do not arrive on school grounds earlier than 8:20 a.m. when direct supervision by our staff begins. The elementary session for afternoon pre-k students begins at 12:20 p.m. Likewise, it is important for their safety that they arrive on school grounds no earlier than 12:15 p.m., and that a parent (or designated adult) remain with the child until all students are brought into the building and escorted to their classroom. On days when the weather is inclement, students may enter the building at 8:20 a.m. Please plan your child's arrival at school accordingly.
- Tardiness: Students in Grades K through 4 and morning pre-k are considered tardy if they are not in their classrooms ready to begin at 8:35 a.m. Afternoon pre-k students are considered tardy after 12:20 p.m. All students that arrive late for school must report to the Main Office to obtain a late pass. When a student arrives at school 30 minutes after the instructional period begins, parents are requested to escort their child to the Main Office in order to indicate the reason for their child being late.
- Early Dismissal: Parents are requested NOT to ask that their child be excused early except when a true emergency makes early dismissal unavoidable. Please do your best to schedule student appointments outside the school day. Early dismissal should be arranged in writing through the Main Office. Students will be called to the office AFTER the parent/guardian arrives and signs their child out of school.
- Visitors: Visitors are always welcome. Please enter our building through the front doors located on the right (as you face the building) of the main entrance on Willow Avenue. Ring the doorbell. (We respectfully ask you to please be patient. The office can be quite busy at times and there may be a short delay before we can respond to the bell.) When asked, state your name and the reason for your visit. Upon entering the building, please report IMMEDIATELY to the Main Office. Sign the visitor's logbook and take a visitor's badge/lanyard, which will be in a basket on the counter. Enter the badge number (found on the back of the badge) in the logbook. Wear the lanyard at ALL times during your visit. When leaving the building, return the lanyard to the Main Office and enter the time you are exiting the building. The school office reserves the right to request identification for those visitors who are not familiar to us.
- Cell Phones: Please remember to turn off your cells phones upon entering the school; they can be quite disruptive.
- Lost & Found: Lost and found articles are collected in the main office and stored in a container, with the exception of jewelry, eye glasses, and keys. It is suggested that parents mark their their child's clothing and personal possessions with their child's name to help prevent items from becoming "lost." At the end of each month, items that have not been claimed will be donated to local charities.
- Emergency Contacts: If your home or cell phone, or emergency contacts have changed, please contact the Main Office so that corrections can be made.
- In Case of Illness: Thank you for keeping your children home when there are symptoms of illness. Please keep your child home until an elevated temperature has returned to normal for at least 24 hours WITHOUT the need for fever-reducing medication. Children returning too soon often appear in the Nurse's Office as they are unable to function in the classroom, and have exposed other to illness.
- Dismissal: Classes need the sidewalk in front of the exit doors to be cleared for their use at dismissal time. Please refrain from approaching the doors as teachers are dismissing their class. In addition, for the safety of your child, if there is a change in the way your child will go home after school, it is required that a note be brought to school with the child in the morning. If we do not have a note, the child will go home the way he/she normally does.
We look forward to seeing you at school!
Mrs. Christina O'Brien
Elementary Executive Secretary